Friday, May 29, 2009

A Day's Work




I did not move from my bed for about the next 20 minutes. Mother had woken me up before the first sunrays could reach the veranda. I realised that I had no other choice as she ordered me to get ready in the next 5 minutes. Reluctant to even put the tip of my finger I hurriedly mopped my face with water and put on a mis-matched kurta-pyjama.

My house is located in a backward area of Uttar Pradesh. Facilities such as tap water, electricity, etc. were not available. Though we had rich harvest almost every year, the task of making wheat into flour was a difficult one. We had to carry the entire stock of wheat to a distant village. A chakki was required to make flour out of wheat, and it was not available in our village.

My parents were farmers, they had other chores to care of. So, it was I who has to go with some other people of our locality and change wheat into flour. 

Reluctantly, I picked up the wheat sacks and started stacking them on the boggy, a neighbour had agreed to take me with him. And thus we headed towards the other village. It was very hot, and there was hardly anyone who had a watch. It seemed like ages. Finally we reached our destination. BUT, no electricity. So, we had to wait. When it did come I was too excited and worried. Perched near the machine, looking closely that not even a single grain was wasted as it was my parents' instructions. I felt more scared than responsible. Then suddenly I was dragged along a pipe that was attached to the machine. It felt as though I was taken in by a huge flesh eating monster. All sort of weird thoughts started swimming in my mind- I could be crippled- before the next thought I could be dead! But as suddenly it had started, it stopped. I was on all fours, panting with fear, unable to move- thinking that ONE movement could take away my precious life. It was kind of funny when I finally realised that the machine had stopped and I was as good as new.   

By the time my work was done and I  had come over my nervous-excitement it was quite late. Anyway we started our journey back home. It had been one of the very long days and I did not want any further adventure. I slept the whole way back in the cool breeze of the night. 

No comments: